Yes, it is World Wildlife Day – not just a celebration but also a day to create awarness of all the many beautiful wild fauna and flora.
World Wildlife Day is primarily observed by all UN Member States. On 20 December 2013, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed March 3rd as the international day of the adoption of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.
Each year has a theme with the themes for the last few years being:
- 2015 – “It’s time to get serious about wildlife crime”
- 2016 – “The future of wildlife is in our hands”, with a sub-theme, “The future of elephants is in our hands”
- 2017 – “Listen to the young voices”
- 2018 – “Big cats – predators under threat”
- 2019 – “Life below water: for people and planet”
- 2020 – “Sustaining all life on earth”
“Wildlife and biodiversity underpin the well-being, safety, and resilience of all societies. Through World Wildlife Day we are hoping to raise awareness of the importance of investing in nature and scaling up solutions through a coalition of public, private sector and civil society partners.” – UNEnvironment.org – 3 March 2020
Yours in Adapting & Being